Practising anaesthesiology for last 37 years, 33 years being dedicated exclusively to cardiac anaesthesiology. Preoperative management of close to 30’000 cardiac patients maintaining an excellent safety record, particularly noteworthy being high risk surgical cases. These years have also provided opportunity to train and teach several budding anaesthesiologists who over years have moved all over globe holding important positions currently.
Since 2007, as Head of Department of Anaesthesiology and OT In-charge, took over administrative responsibilities as well.
MEMBERSHIPS AND RECOGNITIONS
Life member of:
• Indian Association of Anaestheiologists (ISA)
• Indian Association of Cardio-Thoracic Aanaesthesiologists (IACTA)
o Recognized Teacher for Post-doctoral Fellowship program under the aegis of Diplomat of National Board
• Society of Cardiothoracic Anaesthesiologists (SCA), USA
• Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine
o Recognized Teacher for Post-doctoral Fellowship program under the aegis of Diplomat of National Board and Indian Society of Critical care medicine.
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
• Part of the team that conceptualized and participated in research project ‘Role of Intensive Care and Life-support Systems in Human Rabies’ at AIIMS, New Delhi. Published in Canadian Journal of Anaesthesiology.
• Part of the team that conducted research and animal experiments on calves and baboons to study the effects of temperature during cardiopulmonary (extracorporeal) perfusion. Published in Saudi Heart Journal.
• Participated in multinational multicentric study named ‘Europain’ on practices of pain management in Intensive care Units.
• Participated in ‘International Nosocomial Infection Control Consortium (INICC)’, a multinational study about various practices and protocols in various hospitals and their impact on hospital acquired infections. Published in various journals.
• Use of TEE in cardiac surgical patients in prevention of neurocognitive disorders following cardiac surgery in adult patients. Published in Anesthesia and Analgesia.
• Comparison of OPCAB with conventional CABG in patients with compromised left ventricular function.
• Comparison of cardiac output measurement using bio-impedance with thermodilution techniques.
• Comparison of various tetrastarches with crystalloids in cardiac surgical patients particularly in relation to their impact on post-operative renal functions and coagulation. (Manuscript under preparation).
• Efficacy of intravenous paracetamol in post-operative cardiac surgical patients for management of pain.
• Study on impact of postoperative intravenous Dexmetedomidine and incidence of postoperative atrial fibrillation.
• Editorial ‘IT Empowered Anasethesiologist’ in Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia.
• Contributed a chapter on management of cardiac issues in the book ‘Geriatric Anaesthesia’ edited by Dr V P Kumra.
Proposed/on-going projects • Pleth-variability Index as a dynamic marker of fluid responsiveness in patients undergoing off-pump bypass surgery (OPCAB).
• Analysis of factors affecting incidence of postoperative atrial fibrillation
• Evaluation of efficacy of oral fentanyl in management of post-operative pain management in adult cardiac surgical patients.
• Part of study to standardize rocuronium dosage for endotracheal intubation in Indian patients.
• Introduction of ‘Electronic Anaesthesia Charting’ to evaluate its impact on:
o High precision data capture
o Data-mining for research projects
o Impact on efforts to ensure error-free working environment in the operation theatres (OT) incorporating ‘Surgical Safety Checklist’
o Time and motion management in OT
o Better communication between patients and anaesthesia team to capture signs and symptoms that could affect outcomes.
• Use of Ivabradine in controlling post-op atrial fibrillation.
• Devising an ideal tool to capture incidence and severity of post-op pain management in cardiac surgical patients.
• Measures to reduce allogenic blood transfusions in cardiac surgery
o Education of team members
o POC tests for a bleeding cardiac surgical patient to restrict empirical usage of blood/blood products
o Techniques of blood salvage
o Techniques to control bleeding other than surgical hemostasis.
Other contributions/areas of interest:
• Currently Director, Clinical Affairs and Head, Clinical Quality at FEHI. • Headed the Division of Clinical Applications of IT in Healthcare, and contributed as a lead in the institutional vision, planning and implementation of Hospital Information Systems at the Escorts Heart Institute and Research Center. Played crucial role the computerization at EHIRC and have contributed richly in the journey of digitization from Foxbase to Foxpro to Oracle to ultimately Cache’ based web-enabled fully integrated current Hospital Information System.
• Member of Fortis Medical Council (National Body)
• Authored all work instructions, protocols and clinical pathways being practiced at Escorts Heart Institute. In addition also contributed significantly in designing the entire anesthetic, surgical, and critical care forms that are in use at Escorts Heart Institute. The most recent contribution has been the development of Electronic Prescription in its entirety.
• Member of the Pan-Fortis Infection Control Committee, which monitors the incidence of infection and plays advisory role across the 70 odd hospitals of the Fortis Network.
• Chairperson of Pan-Fortis Anaesthesiologists’ Forum.
• Chairperson of Pan-Fortis Drugs and Consumables Approval and Selection Committee.
• Chairperson of FEHI OT Committee.
• Member of following committees at FEHI
o Executive Committee
o Blood Transfusion Committee
o Drugs and Pharmacy Committee
o Code Blue Committee
o Infection Control Committee
o Institutional Review Board of the Research and Academic Committee
o Hospital Committee for Promotion of Research and Academics.
o IT Applications in Clinical Medicine
o Hospital Capex and Purchase Committee
Membership is open to anyone who works directly or indirectly to support and improve the safety of patients. Our members represent a variety of different occupations and professional backgroundsBecome Member